Movement, curiosity and deep attention to detail have always driven me, but what brought me to my work today was sitting in a chair, a really bad chair.
I have been a therapeutic movement practitioner in the Bay Area for more than 15 years and a dancer, artist, and improviser all my life. As an environmental and social justice magazine editor, I developed a debilitating repetitive strain injury from “just” sitting. I had splitting headaches, could barely hold a fork and needed two hands to hold my morning coffee.
With great Pilates instruction, Chiropractic, Massage and Acupuncture, I recovered fully. The fun part is that not only did I regain full function, but, at the urging of my chiropractor, I found I could join my vast body-knowledge from dance practice with grounded knowledge of anatomy from my biological psychology degree and apply my detail oriented editor’s mind to pay it forward and help others.
I love my work and it is a great privilege to support other humans in more brightly inhabiting the body they each call home.
When I’m not nerding out for the good of others, you’ll find this east-coaster-by-roots reading, dancing, swimming, doing yoga or walking my sweet pup Gracie through the wonderful, diverse, far-lefty leaning and LGBTQ friendly Oakland I’m proud to call my home town.
Education & Influence
- Hendrickson Method Institute Practitioner & Therapist Certification with Tom Hendrickson, DC, Frank Haseloff & Giles Gamble - 2010/11 & 2015-17
- Ellie Herman Pilates, Pilates Certification with Ellie Herman & Rehabilitation Mentorship with Lizz Roman - 1998-2000
- Polestar Education, Completion of Polestar Pilates Rehabilitation Course for Medical Professionals - 2000
- Extensive Training in Noguchi Taiso within the context of Butoh dance with: Mari Osanai, Minako Seki, Yuko Kaseki, Shinichi Iova-Koga and many others
- Extensive Training in western contemporary dance, dance/theater improvisation, and other movement education such as yoga, Feldenkrais, Suzuki Method with far too many teachers to name
- Tufts University, BS Biological Psychology, Concentration in Dance, Courses in Dance Therapy - 1994